Friday 6 April 2012

Academy Status causes Dispute

My old school I used to go to had recently been turned into an academy. From research into real media products, I had found that news is not only in the local area itself (Willesden) but other surrounding areas (such as Kilburn, Wembley, Cricklewood, Kingsbury, etc). Hence why I thought that there was no harm in adding a news story that is not specifically in the local area. The new academy status was a cause for concern especially for the school and caused a lot of dispute within staff, students as well as parents and guardians. And again, this news story is typical in local newspapers - stories about school/colleges,etc. Although during my visit there, the new issue was not revealed to any outsiders such as myself because it was thought to be a "sensitive issue", so I got a friend of mine who still goes to Kingsbury High School to carry out an interview, take a picture with the Head teacher as well as pictures on the new proposal evening which was only open for parents, students, staff and members  in authority who introduced the new proposal. The questions I had got my friend to ask head teacher Mr. Waxman during the interview were;


  •  What has led to this new academy status and why?
  • 84.5% of staff say no academy. how has this affacted staff as well as students and parents?
  • What role has the National Union of Teachers (NUT) and National Association of Schoolmasters/Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT) played in this and how? 
  • What are da future prospects of kingsbury high school?
Student and the Headteacher, Mr.Waxman

FOR SOME REASON www.blogger.com IS NOT LETTING ME UPLOAD THE INTERVIEW VIDEO, SO THE VIDEO WILL BE ON THE CD CALLED Interview with headteacher


These are some of the pictures that were taken in the new proposal evening;

Original picture

Edited version

Outside Kingsbury High School

As you can see I included the staff meeting picture to be more authentic as it directly compliments my story compared to a picture of a bit of Kingsbury High School. Consequently, I cropped the image so the main focus is on the staff meeting and I deliberately made sure the picture was taken in a way the "84.5% of staff say no academy" was shown. This made the relationship between the picture and the news story much more journalistic. Also, I added contrast, sharpness and brightness to the picture to make it look more authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment